Introduction

  June 8, 2021 Algal blooms…storm water runoff…septic system management…invasive species prevention…effective cooperation between state an...

Thursday, July 15, 2021

Day 9 - on the Cayuga-Seneca Canal

 



7/14 Waterloo, NY (Birthplace of Memorial Day)

Lock CS4  (CS4 meets C-12 platter)

10 miles 2:30 hours

 

Over 15 years of rowing expeditions, I have never been so bold as to combine a C-12 combo platter with the rigors of rowing. Tonight I make that bet. Tonight I take that chance. Tomorrow will tell the tale.

This short day on the water has been long on engagement with people along the way. Tom motoring a beautiful Alberg 28 sailboat from Buffalo to Seneca Falls, where he and it will spend the summer, modeled his Cambodian fishing hat … a lovely garment indeed! He admired my boat and adventure as much as I admired his ‘plastic classic’ and mariner’s aura.



Later on, waiting out the rain in a public pavilion in the park, I met Mark, by his own admission ‘one of the very few Waterloo liberals and believers that Biden is president.’ We talked politics and culture for well over an hour; I got a distinct sense that he was very hungry to talk with a kindred spirit.  

As if to validate his point, after he left, a couple arrived to tell me that their church group was getting together at the pavilion in about an hour, and that, well, you know, it’s our church group, and we’ll be expecting to have the pavilion …

Does that sound right to you?

So … that’s when I walked into town and found my Chinese. Doors close, doors open.



For all the wrong reasons, this is the first time I’ve felt uneasy about my evening abode. I may row back across the canal and set up at the lock, where I’ll feel somewhat more secure in the embrace of the state, elected by the people.

Too political? Sorry, I just so dislike hypocrisy.

Tomorrow, Seneca Lake (20 miles) and an 8 mile historical hike over the Outlet Trail. The Outlet Trail follows the course of the old locked canal that used to connect Seneca and Keuka Lakes. The Friends of the Outlet – Sally and Keith in particular – have taken an interest in my row and plan to meet me in Dresden and help me with my stuff. I ask you, where do we find such friends?

A full water report tomorrow! I expect to do some Seneca swimming.  

1 comment:

  1. Al!
    Always love reading about your adventures, seeing your photo evidence (except for the cheap Chinese.....), and learning about the characters and conversations you have along the journey.
    I've moved to Charleston, SC....great access to biking, beach walking, kayaking, tennis, etc. The good life indeed.
    Enjoy the remainder of your row!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete