Introduction

  June 8, 2021 Algal blooms…storm water runoff…septic system management…invasive species prevention…effective cooperation between state an...

Sunday, July 11, 2021

Day 5 - A tough day on the Mohawk River


The water at Lock 9

Crescent Boat Club to Rotterdam

Erie Canal Lock 9

24.2 miles 10.2 hours (ouch!)

Oh hey, I’m in it now. Caught in a public dilemma, a promise made but perhaps out of reach. A reach that has exceeded my grasp.

 The big news is that the canal people have closed several locks ahead of me. The water is roaring. I saw a 54’ Cruiser swirled around like a tub toy before it smashed its way into the lock ahead of me, and I have been seeing 1.2 mph (over the ground) for the last 8 hours.

 The Mohawk River is raging right now, and I don’t have an answer.

 If the locks remain closed, I can’t proceed.

 If I can’t make 1.2+ mph over the ground (15 mile days?), I can’t proceed.

I feel terrible about this state of affairs. I ‘promised’ a 400 mile row … I feel obligated.

 But ... I’m thinking … maybe it’s about connecting ‘Laker to Laker’ even if the Mohawk steps in the way?

 Tonight a canoeist (and 20 other people) congratulated me on getting into Lock 9 alive. It was quite a nifty bit of oarsmanship, if I may say so myself. A 54’ Chris Craft was manhandled, my 16’ Adirondack guideboat got me through!


A surprise visit from Anja at Lock 9

 Anyways, the 84-year-old masters champion canoeist told me his life story … and then I asked him if he or anyone in his cohort might want to leapfrog me and my boat over this unpleasantness. A truck and a rack and map and we could be on again, past the troubled waters.

He’s shaking the bushes tonight and will call me in the morning.

Sadly, one thing for sure – I won’t be rowing tomorrow …

  1. A brutal day … still can be fun
  2. High water trumps high ambition
  3. People are wonderful when you ask them with respect and humility

Oh! Gene, Maria, and Ray, the folks on the plucky down-east type boat, treated me to a wonderful dinner and terrific stories along Lock 9. A stranded community is forming – lovely people, and damn good boaters!    

Much later!!






    

Al spent the night at Lock 9 - he needs to at least get beyond the last closed lock (#16) at St. Johnsville



3 comments:

  1. Al,
    I'm glad you are posting this trip, another in the adventures of the humble traveller, grateful for the people along the way, and the important cause to make all of us aware of the fragile conditions of Our Waters.
    Very true:
    - High water trumps high ambition
    - People are wonderful when you ask them with respect and humility.
    Have a safe journey.
    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Al, we have your oars and food next to the boat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Al,
    We are all proud of your effort and the purpose of your voyage. Especially at your young age!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete